Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fantasy Football Draft, Decatur Island




I went to Decatur Island in the San Juans last weekend with a bunch of buddies for our annual "Fantasy Football Draft". I went up Friday morning (alone), and most of us left late Sunday morning. I share a fantasy team with my buddy Vince, and this was our 4th draft (we were finally allowed to join this elite league in 2005). It is a big highlight of the year- spending time with good friends, playing volleyball, tennis and horseshoes, boating, swimming, eating great food, drinking great drinks, staying up late playing poker and of course, the centerpiece of the weekend, our 3 hour draft on Saturday morning! We are very fortunate to have a buddy whose family has this great cabin on the island. The boat ride up, the solitude of the place (very few vehicles on the island), the friends and the ride home add up to an amazing time.

It's a bit bittersweet, though, the Decatur trip signals the end of summer and the beginning of the fall NFL season. And for me, especially this year, it signals the begginning of the end of an amazing time of life, my big USA trip, freedom from the work world, hanging with friends and working on the house. I'll be doing my resume up soon and looking for a new job. Let me know if you know anyone that needs a good .NET programmer!

No comments: