Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Another Letter To Senator Murray

Dear Senator Murray,

I want to thank you for responding each time I've written. I've heard of other politicians who don't, so the effort you and your staff put forth to respond is commendable. Frankly, however, it is sad that other politicians don't know who really is their boss, the People of their State and district.

I want to once again express my concern about the rapidly growing deficit and the growing power and scope of the Federal Government.

I've read several books about our founding fathers, including John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington and Samuel Adams. What I've come away with from each is their love of personal freedoms and their concern about the power of centralized government. A favorite saying from Thomas Jefferson:

"I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive. "

The congress and the Obama administration seem to be increasing the size, scope and power of the Federal Government at an alarming rate, with an estimated $1,750,000,000,000 (White House est.) to $1,850,000,000,000 (CBO estimate) deficit this year alone.

I pray that you are mindful of these proceedings and work to limit the size and power of the Federal Government, as our Founding Fathers envisioned and hoped.

Thank you,
Greg Moon
Seattle

UPDATE: The Senator's Office Reply (5/7/2009):

Dear Mr. Moon:

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact my office and share your kind words of support. I am very proud to represent Washington state in the Senate, and your encouragement means so much to me.

My work in the Senate is focused on people, and nothing is more important to me than receiving advice and comments from the people of Washington state. I hope you will continue to stay in touch on matters of interest to you, and that you will not hesitate to call on me whenever I may be of assistance.

I would also like to thank you for your concerns regarding government spending and the scope of the federal government. I appreciate hearing your views about this important issue.

As you know, the American economy is suffering from the worst recession since the Great Depression. Millions of people have lost their jobs, thousands of families have lost their homes to foreclosure, and many Americans are struggling to afford basic necessities like food and housing. The federal government has responded by passing stimulus legislation designed to relieve pressure on working families and help put Americans back to work.

In February, Congress passed H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act which funds numerous programs aimed at creating jobs and helping working families during this recession. This bill reinvests in our nation's infrastructure, extends unemployment insurance for laid-off workers and provides tax cuts to families and businesses struggling to make ends meet. Additionally, H.R. 1 focuses on making strategic investments in our economy by funding alternative energy research and development, workforce training, and education. These investments will help lay the foundation for a stronger economy and workforce in the future.

The cost of these programs is significant, and I understand and share your concerns about our national debt and how the federal government uses your tax dollars. During this unique and very difficult time, I believe that these investments are needed to mitigate the economic recession and put Americans back to work. If we do not make these strategic investments, many economists have made it clear our economy will continue to slide further and further into recession.

Lifting our economy out of this recession and helping Americans get back to work are my top priorities. As a United States Senator, I also remain committed to balancing our budget and reducing the national debt. However, I recognize that if we do not make these investments now we may never be able to get our economy going again and focus in on achieving a balanced budget and reducing our national debt.

As the 111th Congress continues, I will continue to work with my Senate colleagues and the Obama Administration to address this economic crisis and make prudent investments to get our economy back on stable ground. As this and other issues are addressed, I will definitely keep your views on government spending in mind. Thank you for sharing your views with me, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

I hope all is well in Seattle.

No comments: